Sammye Finley (949.3371) & Tina Newman, Chairpersons
Premiums Offered: $768.00
First Place $3.00, Second Place $2.00, Third Place $1.00
References: Ball Blue Book of Preserving (Copyright 2005 or later) & USDA Complete Guide to home Cooking
1. Pieces should be uniform in size & packaged snugly, but allow for circulation of liquids
2. Products should be free from defects of blemishes, strings, stems, seeds, pits, & peels. Some recipes may require these items and it is acceptable if the recipe is in keeping with approved guidelines.
3. Liquids should cover the product, keeping within the head space guidelines.
4. Liquids should be clear and free from cloudiness and small particles.
5. Product should retain its natural characteristic color, or as nearly that of standard cooked product. It should be free from undue color loss.
6. Texture should be tender, but not overcooked.
7. Product should maintain its shape and size appropriate for recipe and preparation method.
8. Air bubbles should be kept to a minimum.
9. Gas bubbles denote spoilage and are identified by movement to the surface of the product while the jar is stationary.
10. Any entry exhibiting spoilage of any type must be disqualified.
11. Bands must be in place for transporting home-canned products; however, bands may be removed when presented for judging. This will aid in determining head space. Head space must correspond to recommendations from the references listed above.
12. All entries must be heat-processed following current canning guidelines from one of the references listed above.
13. If product was not processed according to approved recommendations, it must be disqualified.
14. The product must be preserved in Mason-type, threaded, home canning jars with self-sealing 2-piece lids.
ANY ITEM NOT ENTERED IN STANDARD CANNING JARS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED
ADULT AND STUDENT DIVISIONS
Lot 1. Any other fruit Lot 2. Apples Lot 3. Applesauce
Lot 4. Blackberries Lot 5. Blueberries Lot 6. Mincemeat
Lot 7. Peaches Lot 8. Pears
Lot 9. Any other vegetable Lot 10. Field Peas
Lot 11. Green Beans (No Shellies) Lot 12. Green Beans (With Shellies)
Lot 13. Kraut Lot 14. Okra
Lot 15. Soup Mixture Lot 16. Tomatoes
Excluding: Pumpkin Butter, mashed or pureed pumpkin, & Winter Squash, no Summer Squash
JAMS, JELLIES & SOFT SPREADS
Lot 17. Any other jam, jelly, or soft spread Lot 18. Apple Butter
Lot 19. Apple Jelly Lot 20. Blackberry Jam
Lot 21. Blackberry Jelly Lot 22. Blueberry Jam
Lot 23. Blueberry Jelly Lot 24. Cherry Jelly
Lot 25. Grape Jelly Lot 26. Muscadine Jelly
Lot 27. Peach Jam Lot 28. Pear Preserves
Lot 29. Strawberry Jam
PICKLES & RELISHES
Lot 30. Any other pickles Lot 31. Beet Pickles
Lot 32. Bread & Butter Pickles Lot 33. Chow Chow
Lot 34. Mixed Pickles Lot 35. Pickle Slices (Dill)
Lot 36. Pickle Slices (Sweet) Lot 37. Pickle Spears (Dill)
Lot 38. Pickle Spears (Sweet) Lot 39. Pickles- Whole (Dill)
Lot 40. Pickles- Whole (Sweet) Lot 41. Pickled Okra
Lot 42. Relish Lot 43. Salsa
Lot 44. Sauce- Chili Lot 45. Sauce- Pasta Lot
46. Sauce- Tomato Lot 47. Squash Pickles
Lot 48. Fruit
Lot 49. Vegetables
Lot 50. Apple
Lot 51. Grape
Lot 52. Tomato
Lot 53. Any Other
Lot 54. Blackberry
Lot 55. Grape
Lot 56. Peach
Lot 57. 4 Jars = A Meal
Lot 58. Green Tomato Salsa
Lot 59. Green Tomato Pickles (Kosher Dill)
Lot 60. Green Tomato Relish
Lot 61. Spiced Green Tomatoes
Lot 62. Green Tomato Pie Filling